Monday, February 23, 2009

Adventure to Amsterdam

Hey guys, I'm finally back! I feel like I haven't blogged in forever. Having my brother here has been a blast. We have had such a great time, I am so glad he was able to come visit us.

Just a little recap of our weekend. (Beware, it's a little lenghty, but mostly consists of pictures.) Thursday we took Sean to one of your favorite restaurants here, Brauhaus. Of course they are a German restaurant with great food, but their beer is awesome. (they brew their own beer.)

Jon and Sean in front of the Brauhaus
Sean and me (his hair grew and so did he, he's so tall)
Jon and Me
During the weekend we headed to Amsterdam. I have been wanting to visit Amsterdam since we moved to Germany. Not only does it have beautiful architecture, but canals run throughout the entire city, I just knew it would be amazing to see. I also remembered Anne Frank's house is in Amsterdam and I was really looking forward to seeing where her and her family lived during WWII.

On the way to the Netherlands we stopped in Cologne (Koln), Germany to grab a quick bite and see the Dom Cathedral. We had completely forgotten about Fasching (German Mardi Gras,) and the streets were swamped with people dressed in crazy outfits, like it was Halloween. We walked briskly through the crowd to capture a couple of photos of the Cathedral for Sean and very quickly made our way out of the masses. It was just afternoon and the streets were already packed with people, stores were boarding up their windows getting ready for the crazy night and we were just in awe at how everyone was dressed. Too fun!
Click on the picture to enlarge.





After checking out Koln and eating at our favorite Mexican restaurant we made our way to Amsterdam!! Here are pictures from our arrival.
Our fun and fancy hotel room. I had no idea it was so fancy until we arrived.

The view as you exit the hotel



Our walk around Amsterdam



The best part of the Red Light District




The Red Light District was very interesting. Let's just leave it at that!
I found the swans the most interesting though. I love these birds, they are beautiful. I guess people feed them because there are swarms of ducks, swans and some other strange duck type birds around this area. I was so glad to see this. I thought they were so pretty.

After 6 hours of walking throughout the city of Amsterdam, we stopped by an Irish pub for a quick beer and afterward found a doner shop and woofed down some Kebabs.

The next morning I woke the guys pretty early, we all got ready and made our way to Anne Frank's house. We got their early in hopes to beat the mad line, which we succeded! There were only four people ahead of us in line.

Let me tell you guys, this was such an amazing thing to see. I had goosebumps the entire time and was in awe at the fact that I was standing in the Frank's home, where they hid for two years during World War II. It was unbealivable to see their hidaway behind the bookshelf and to stand in the room where Anne actually wrote her diary. It was definitely a touching moment.

The Anne Frank Museum and The Frank's Home

Good thing we got to the museum when we did.
The line was wrapped around the building.

The view from Anne Frank's house


After visiting the museum we continued walking and seeing the sights Amsterdam had to offer






We had a fabulous time and I really can't wait to visit Amsterdam again when we have more time to stay. I want to visit the Van Gogh Museum and a couple of other museums. Just walking through the city and to see the beautiful buildings and the canals was enough for me. Hopefully we can visit in the spring when the tulips are blooming, that would be fantastic to see.


16 comments:

erin - heart in ireland said...

Sounds like a fabulous weekend! One of my good friends was in Amsterdam this weekend with her aunt!

Love all the pictures!

The Purple Carrot said...

That looks like SO much fun! I loved all the pictures, looks like you had an amazing weekend! Thanks for sharing!

~Mrs. Guru~ said...

I love all your pictures! Mr. Guru went to Amsterdam for work and loved it!

Chase said...

Looks like a great time! We have a German Restaurant/Brewery here in town with a great home-brewed draft. It was actually the first time I really appreciated beer. haha

I could only imagine walking through Anne Frank's home and the Red Light District. Both places seem like they would be emotionally draining.

BTW, can I just say... All three of you have fantastic style. I know the cold weather lends itself to that, but still. Way to be.

Kelli said...

Love the pictures (as usual) It looks like you are having a great time with your brother! :)

Young Traveler said...

I've got another award for you dear!

Candice said...

I would LOVE to go see Anne Frank's house. I'm so excited you got to do that! You make me want to go to Germany etc. on our next big vacation. I really enjoy looking at your pictures too...keep 'em coming!

Hope you enjoy the rest of the time you have with your brother.

Thanks so much for the award. That was so sweet of you...I can't wait to post about it!

Lindsey said...

I'm so glad you had a great time, the pics are fabulous!!!

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

What a fabulous trip. I love that gorgeous hotel you got to stay in. I would love to see the Anne Frank Museum. That must have been incredible. I miss being in Germany, actually anywhere in Europe. All that history and voices from the past. It's food for the soul to be included in your adventures through your blog.

BrianB said...

I'm glad you got to go to the Dom Cathedral and take some Dom pictures, Dom it! I didn't know people went to the red light district to feed birds, guess I was misinformed about that area. Glad you had fun.

Anonymous said...

Testing. Love you, Peanut!!

Anonymous said...

Testing 2.

Staci said...

OMG soo beautiful, the pics of the buildings are amazing!!

Hi....im staci...surfed from gussys

ill be back!

morewineplease said...

FINALLY! I cannot tell you how many times I have tried to leave a comment on your blog and stupid blogger comment crap would not let me...
any who, I am insanely jealous of your trip.. pics are amazing!

Abbie said...

Okay...I'm going to try posting a comment for the third time (stupid modern technology can be so frustrating!).

It looks like you guys had an amazing time!

I absolutely love the pictures of the cathedral! They are so intricate and detailed...it's amazing that they were built without any of today's technology!

I would love to see Anne Frank's house, I bet that was such a humbling experience.

I hope you enjoy the rest of your brother's visit!

Jon and Steph said...

Thanks everyone who attempted several times to leave a comment. Glad you finally succeeded! I have no idea what happened with blogger.

You guys are the bestest ;)