Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Oklahoma, How I Miss Thee!

So, I was doing some major spring cleaning yesterday and while I was cleaning food out of the sink it made me think about some things I miss about the states. Which made me think of even more things I miss about the states and Oklahoma to be exact, so here are a couple of things I miss on a daily basis.

First and Foremost:
A garbage disposal
Yup, who would have thought I would miss something as small as a garbage disposal. But I do, on a daily basis. There's nothing more icky, than grabbing food out of the sink with your fingers and putting it in a compost trash can that we later have to take down to the larger compost trashcan outside. Germans are huge on recycling compost.

Second:
Closets
We have NO closets anywhere. NO storage closets or clothing closets. NO entryway closet where you keep your coats and random things. NO shelving in closets for storage. NOTHING!
We don't even have storage in our bathroom, no cabinets, no drawers, nada.
When we get home, I am going to build (well not me personally) a ginormous closet just like this picture, maybe two rooms just like this!

Third:
Target
I gave my heart away to this place a long time ago. (Sorry Jon.)

Fourth:
I am missing the second season of True Blood and it makes me want to cry! ;)

Fifth:
CVS/Walgreens:

You can literally buy anything in these stores. I miss being able to buy my prescriptions, smut magazines, toiletries, random goodies and develop my pictures from my camera, all in one place.

Mexican food:
1492 or Ted's to be specific!
Oh how I miss you on a daily basis! You made me the happiest woman in the world!

More food:
Eischens, the best Fried Chicken in Oklahoma
And to top off a night of Fried Chicken:
Our favorite beer
Lions Head
Although don't get me wrong, the beer over here is awesome! We just love our Lion's Head!
I can't wait to see all of you wonderful places and things again!

Don't get me wrong, there are many things I love about living over in Germany, it could always be worse, and I am very thankful and blessed for what I do have. All I'm saying is........... There's no place like home!

Hope you all have a wonderful Wednesday!


30 comments:

Allison said...

Amen.

New Girl on Post said...

Amen sister! I really miss Oklahoma right now. I think because summer is my favorite time there.

I miss closets the most. That and Taco Bueno. And Ted's.... *sigh*

Unknown said...

Okay, the closet thing got me and I don't understand it! LOl, how do you store anything? Target is a favorite of mine as well... this used to be me and my sister Autumn's hangout spot. Every Saturday we'd load her little boy up and we'd go to target, get starbucks for us and the $1 popcorn and slushie for little Matt...When are you and your husband coming back to the states to visit?

Kaci said...

Oh you poor dear...no Target?!?! How ever are you surviving? :) XOXO I would die with out salsa...can I send you some? Hmmmmm....

Have a great day!!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

That's right people. No Target. No Mexican Food. No stinking closets. For your freedom. Kind of.

Girl, I totally understand! I got a little teary eyed driving through town yesterday because I know I am going to have to leave. There's no place like home!

The Dutchess of Kickball said...

I have never in my life had a garbage disposal, and every single time I need to pick crap out of the sink it makes me gag. I finally was saved from having to do this when I got a dog and I let her eat the scraps off the plates before they go in the sink.

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Oh...no closets?? No target?? Yikes!!! ;-)

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

I would have the hardest time with missing Target and Walgreens! I go to those at least twice a week!

lemonologie said...

A world without Target? Sniff. The closest one to me is 40 miles away and *that* makes me sad. I can't imagine not having access to one at all!

Courtney said...

I've never really thought about it, but I'd definitely miss those things too!

Unknown said...

haha..I love this post!! I have a feeling I'm gonna be able to create one of these lists come next year when we are in Alaska! Hey, this post made me think..I'm actually going to Oklahoma for the first time ever on the 4th of July weekend! :) My fiance is stationed there at Ft. Sill until the wedding so he's flying me out for the long weekend. It will be my first time flying AND visiting OK! :) I will say hello for you! ;) Have a great day sweet friend!

katie + bret said...

oh honey, my #1 rule is do not leave Target behind... You poor thing, being stuck with russian churches in your back yard, the effiel tower as your neighbor and wine around every corner ;) Just kidding - I will send you some Target stuff (and chick-fil-a which you left off the list!)

Chase said...

LOVE this.
How true is it? We expats miss the weirdest things.

I found a website that lets me watch Dexter online (well, that's showtime, but you get what I mean) maybe they have trueblood?

oh, and I concur on the garbage disposal thing. yuck.


and Mexican Food. Oh, Mexican Food, how I miss thee! at least the true, Authentic deal. (Though, hopefully coming soon, I'll have a post about my favorite Taiwanese Burrito) :D

Lindsey said...

Awwww! I can't believe you don't have a garbage disposal, poor thing!!

JennyLee said...

Where is Eischen's? I live here and have never been! I am so with you on Target and Walgreens. Can't live without those!

Jen McCrady said...

wow, i can only imagine...

Anonymous said...

http://www.hbo.com/trueblood/season2/

Katie said...

I don't think I would be able to survive without a garbage disposal and target. You are a brave brave soul haha

Gussy Sews said...

GRAH! no garbage disposal? ick.

kudos to you for living without a Target/Walgreens/Closet, etc. I heart me a good Target trip, too :)

Gussy

Unknown said...

hey Miss Steph...email addy is
shan0725@gmail.com :)

Megan said...

There really is no place like home, especially a home with closets! :-) I still need to try Eischen's. I have heard great things about it!

Lisa said...

I'm with you on the garbage disposal and closets/storage, even though I live in the States! I live in a tiny studio and I don't have a garbage disposal. Which means everything goes in my trash can (my landlord thinks compost is disgusting). Ewww.

And my bathroom is my closet, which does not make for much space to store ANYTHING! I know I have a lot of crap (getting rid of it, I swear!), but man it looks like so much more in such a small space!

Grand Pooba said...

Oh I love your new pop up sweetness!

I didn't have a garbage disposal in my college apartment and I couldn't stand it either! What? No Target? You poor thing!

valerie said...

When will y'all get to come back for a visit?

I love Oklahoma!!

Anonymous said...

I'm now hungry! That mexican food looks delish! And no closets??? Are you kidding me?! LOL

Jane said...

I have been reading your blog for awhile but I don't think I have ever commented, so I just wanted to say hello, and that I absolutely love all of the pictures you post! :-) I would love to travel overseas someday, especially to Germany and Ireland, so it has been really neat seeing pictures of all the things you have experienced abroad.

I'm still struggling to wrap my head around the no closets thing....seriously, what do people do with all of their stuff?

Gleatie said...

There is no place like home! FOR REAL! Just think, December will be here before we know it!

morewineplease said...

I would totally miss all those things too!!

Mrs. Realife said...

Giirrlll -- We have a lot of the same LOVES! I'm so sorry!! I would TOTALLY ship these things to you if they'd fit in a box!

msprimadonna67 said...

No garbage disposals? No closets? No TARGET??? How do you survive??