Monday, February 14, 2011

My 48 Hours in a German Hospital

Let me tell you guys... I never thought I'd add that to the list of things I'd do in my lifetime. It definitely was unexpected. Thursday I woke up feeling like I always do, with a slight headache. Throughout the morning it got worse and a couple of hours went by and all of the sudden my vision started losing focus and I had a hard time seeing. This had happened a couple of times before and I just brushed it off thinking it was some weird side affect of my headaches, but that morning I decided I just couldn't take it anymore and called my doctor. She told me I needed to go to the hospital immediately, that she believed my blood pressure was way too high and I needed to be admitted. WHAT?!?! So I called my husband and we headed over to the hospital. Sure enough, my blood pressure was higher than it should have been, and they immediately admitted me. They gave me a room, which was already occupied by another pregnant woman, so needless to say I shared a room with a complete stranger for 2 whole days and nights! Thank GOD she spoke good English and really was a very nice woman. (Even if she did snore like a freaking freight train!)

To make a super long story short, they checked my blood pressure 5 times a day and drew blood every day. They did a CTG three times a day and several ultrasounds to check on my little Sophie. Thank God Sophie is doing perfectly fine and growing just like she should... it's just my health that is a little coo coo right now. They believed I had preeclampsia, but thankfully after running all of these test for two days, everything came back okay. They just want me to take it easy, keep taking my blood pressure medicine, and try to be as stress free as possible, as preeclampsia can come back at any time. Taking it easy is just what I intend to do, because the VERY LAST THING in the world I ever want to do is spend any more time in that hospital!

Thanks to my sweet and wonderful friend Sarah for bringing me goodies and magazines while I was there so I had something to occupy my time. The day after I got released she also brought my husband and I homemade spaghetti sauce, noodles, and bread and my favorite thin mint Girl Scout cookies. I really don't know what I would do without her! She was a lifesaver, so thoughtful and generous! Also, one of Jon's co-workers brought us a homemade casserole and a lasagna! How incredibly nice. We are so thankful to have such wonderful friends that take such good care of us!

What a crazy weekend it was! But I am home now and slowly getting myself back to feeling normal. I have what Jon and I are calling "hospital hangover." I feel totally groggy and rundown, unlike myself and my vision is still off. I am still getting headaches every morning but am hoping by taking the bp medicine on time it will slowly control those. Now it's time to get my house back in order and then kick my feet up and take it easy.

I hope you all have a wonderful Monday!

Also, thank you to the girls who left me book recommendations! I'll be spending a lot of time reading these next couple of weeks so if anyone has any others, I'd LOVE to hear your suggestions!


Abbie said...

Oh Steph I'm so glad you and the babes are okay! Rest up and take it easy:)

Ace said...

Take it easy! I had
Preeclampsia both times. I didn't get it as bad the 2nd time. The first time I went on strict bedrest at 28 weeks, had to lay on my left side and couldn't even stand to shower. Your left side keeps it lower for some reason. I won't go on about how the next few weeks went, it wasn't good because I didn't think I had to listen. Just stay on your left side and dont lift a finger!

Megan said...

Oh my goodness!! So glad you are OK! That is scary!

LWLH said...

So glad your ok...take it easy girl! :)

JG said...

Oh my goodness! You poor thing. I'm glad you're home now. Take care of yourself and little Sophie!

d.a.r. said...

Oh my gosh, scary!! I am so glad you are okay! Take it easy :)

Lynette said...

You better be good to yourself! Hope it is better soon!!

susanne said...

Take it easy and enjoy the last few quiet weeks. Things are gonna change!!

My Army Brats and Me said...

i have not been over in a while and i was so excited to see your wonderful news. my youngest daughters middle name is belle. she loves it. so much fun! will check on you again.
fighting like a girl