Thursday, October 23, 2008

A Souk Night Out

Last night, after a very long day, Jon, Kevin and I went to the souk to enjoy the decent weather Doha was having. Jon and I got a chance to see the souk the last time we were in Doha, but Kevin had never been, so we thought we'd show him around. As I've mentioned before I really enjoy the market. It is so interesting to see all of the vendors and the items they sell.

There are a number of restaurants throughout the market, so we walked along trying to decide which one we should try. We chose a restaurant by the name of Le Gourmet! They had a large variety of things on the menu, but Jon and I chose to share the grilled lamb. I am still trying to acquire a taste for lamb, but I have to say, it was pretty good.

After dinner we continued through the souk, trying to walk off some of the dinner! We stopped at a falconry shop so Jon could show Kevin the falcons! Jon has become obsessed with falcons and falconry. He bought a book online the other day that had something to do with owning, breeding and hunting with falcons! Can you imagine us with a falcon. I told Jon if he wanted a falcon than I was going to get my Irish Wolfhound. That would be interesting. A pet falcon and the biggest dog in the world. We're so weird.

Here are some pictures of our evening.

Here I am, Jon was trying to get the lighting right! He got me an amazing SLR camera for Christmas, and I have yet to learn how to use it! I love photography as you can probably tell from this blog, but I need to take a class so I can learn to capture better quality pictures.

Arriving at the souk

Kevin hiding behind Jon

Le Gourmet

Jon, Me and Kevin

The view from the balcony of the restaurant

Walking through the souk

We thought this building was very neat and beautifully illuminated so,
of course I took a picture.


They use these wheel barrows to cart items from the souk to vehicles.



I thought this guy was too cute. They have donkey rides for small children. Jon really wanted a ride, but I think he is too big for this little guy.


Happy Thursday!

No comments: